Revel with Us at the 2022 Zodiac Solstice Event
The Solstice on Tuesday, June 21 marks the celestial beginning of the summer season. On this day, Earth will arrive at the point in its orbit where the North Pole is at its maximum tilt toward the Sun, resulting in the longest day and shortest night of the calendar year. In Pagan times, the Solstice was believed to be when the veil between this world and the next was at its thinnest, and when fairies were at their most powerful.
Lowell Observatory is partnering with Peppercorn Games to bring you a truly unique celebration of the Summer Solstice: Zodiac, an ethereal night of dance, acrobatic, stunt, and circus performances set under the dark skies of Mars Hill. Each of the evening’s performances will represent a different sign of the Zodiac, adapted from the myths and legends of various cultures. Audience participation is highly encouraged!
Tickets can be purchased for either the matinee show at 6:30pm, or the evening show at 9:30pm. Attendees of both shows will be invited to come together from 8 to 9pm for a Night Sky Viewing Party, during which telescope viewing will be available to all.
The VIP ticket package, which can be purchased for either the matinee or evening show, offers front-row seating, increased interaction with performers, and the opportunity to take long-exposure portraits with the night sky as a backdrop. During the Night Sky Viewing Party, VIPs can have deep-sky images sent directly to their smartphone via a state-of-the-art Stellina telescope.
Tickets for Zodiac are available for purchase at the time of the event and sold in advance below!
- Reconciling Religion and AstronomyAn atheist, a catholic, and an agnostic walk into a podcast recording room… and have an incredible conversation about how science and astronomy … Read more
- A Moving PortraitIn this episode of Star Stuff, Lowell Historian Kevin Schindler and astronomer Gerard van Belle sit down for a chat with German artist … Read more
- Press Release: LOWELL OBSERVATORY & GRAND CANYON CONSERVANCY PARTNER IN LIVESTREAM EVENTNovember 2, 2023 LOWELL OBSERVATORY AND GRAND CANYON CONSERVANCY PARTNER IN LIVESTREAM EVENT: NATIVE CONSTELLATION STORYTELLING FOR WINTER SKIES [Flagstaff; Grand Canyon, Arizona] … Read more
- Celestial Alert: Jupiter at OppositionCELESTIAL ALERT October 25, 2023 JUPITER AT OPPOSITION [OCTOBER 25, 2023] On November 2, Jupiter will be in opposition, meaning it will … Read more
- How the Earth FormedIn this episode of Star Stuff, join Cody Half-Moon and geologist John Compton as they discuss the mind-blowing process of our planet’s formation … Read more