Share your love of the stars
Now accepting applications!
Available Volunteer Positions
Public Program Telescope Operator & Astronomy Interpreter
Office & Clerical
- Minimum average of 1 shift (4 hours) per week
- Must pass a background check and have the ability to interact in a positive way with visitors
- For public programs, appropriate attire shirt provided by Lowell
- Adherence to Lowell Observatory policies (provided at time of appointment)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Learn the Ropes
As a volunteer at Lowell, you’ll be trained on a variety of telescopes and other stargazing equipment. You will also learn fascinating things about the cosmos, including astrophysics, planetary science, constellation mythology, and much more!
Run Open Houses
Volunteers are also our go-to’s for running open houses at the historic buildings on our campus, like the Pluto Discovery Telescope and the Rotunda Museum.
Enjoy Flexible Hours
Our volunteer hours are flexible! We’ll work with you to ensure that volunteering fits into your busy schedule.
Volunteer at the Annual I Heart Pluto Festival
We need all hands on deck for our annual I Heart Pluto Festival each February! The I Heart Pluto Festival is a multi-day event celebrating the anniversary of Pluto’s discovery on February 18, 1930. As a volunteer, you’ll help make this event happen by directing guests on campus, leading VIP groups, and much more, all while enjoying the festivities!