The Slipher Society
Jump-start astronomical research
Slipher Society members support Lowell Observatory’s mission to study our universe with annual investments that fill critical gaps between research grants and other formal funding sources. These critical donations help get new research efforts off the ground or complete current research projects.
Projects that Slipher Society members supported include:
- Project 1
- Project 2
The Slipher Brothers
The Slipher Society is named in honor of two of the observatory’s past directors, each of them astronomers in their own right—brothers V.M. and E.C. Slipher.
Member Levels & Benefits
$10,000 per year ($833.34 per month)
- Level 1 and 2 benefits. Plus:
- Astronomer ride-along: spend an afternoon or evening with a Lowell astronomer to get an in-depth look at their research and methods. Time will be allowed for questions.
$5,000 per year ($416.67 per month)
- Level 1 benefits. Plus:
- Invitation to a yearly trip with fellow Slipher Society members. Destinations may include: Ice Lab at Northern Arizona University, the Naval Observatory, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the Nevada National Security Site, or Kitt Peak.
$1,500 per year ($125 per month)
- A Slipher Society commemorative lapel pin.
- Receive Lab Notes, a digital update of Slipher Society funded projects, twice annually.
- One networking event annually featuring Lowell astronomers discussing their research. (Virtually or onsite, subject to current safe practices.)
- Listing in the thank-you section of the resulting funded paper(s) as “Members of the Slipher Society at Lowell Observatory.”
All charter members who join by December 1, 2021 will be invited to the 2022 Director’s Opportunity Network astronomy tour to France and Spain. Ask for details.
*The Slipher Society exclusively funds research and is separate from any Lowell Observatory membership level. Gifts must be designated specifically to the Slipher Society to receive benefits. Benefits may change over time.
Programs to SupportDonate Now
Science Education and Public Outreach
Help inspire the next generation of scientists!
Make a gift that stands the test of time.
Give your gift to the area of greatest immediate need.